II INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON GENDER AND PRISON CULTURE
Is prison a democratic space?
Following the success of the 1st edition of SIGeP, included in the 56th International Congress of Americanists, held in Salamanca in 2018, it is an honor to announce the II International Symposium on Gender and Prison Culture (SIGeP2020), which will take place in Coimbra (Portugal) on October 16 and 17, 2020, in a virtual/online format, under the question: Is prison a democratic space?
The story of prisons is narrated under the scope of gender, in a male-female dyad, where there is no place for diversity and there are no possibilities for the full achievement of the personality.
Women are often underrepresented in a connection established between prison and the dominant patriarchal culture and legal systems, often thought from the dominant masculine. This led us to question: Is prison a democratic space?
Prison, as a solution, keep the exotic vision of reintegration, which is transversal to men and women who momentarily seek to solve their most immediate problems outside the social order.
SIGeP2020 is open to all different disciplinary views of prison in the social order, with a special focus on the treatment of gender in a developmental and multidisciplinary construction of human rights. It can be submitted proposals of theoretical studies, methodological studies or social research issues in general, as well as empirical researches.
O SIGeP2020 will bring together researchers, academics, students, practitioners, and policy makers, and will allow, beside reflecting on gender and prison culture in an international level, to:
- Connect research and intervention within the field of prison systems;
- Reflect on good practices and methodologies in the context of intervention with the prison population, leading to the improvement of national policies;
- Reflect on gender influence in those systems, knowing different gender-sensitive policies;
- Promote networking among professionals and experts in this field, developing research networks and good practices;
- Index the papers submitted to SCOPUS.